Wednesday, January 9, 2008

New Hampshire Blues

Well. I just don’t know what’s next. Down the garden path I went and got clobbered in New Hampshire. I believed! It just shows how vulnerable I am….an old man who made his bones in the civil rights years….looked up one day and a guy with a black father and a white mother won the Iowa caucuses, so I write a Glory Hallelujah! blog.

It was all too easy….I even had it figured out that he will win South Carolina (where, by the way, the very first voter registration drives began back in the late 50s)…The black votes that we collected years ago win it. Right?

So I’m sitting watching MSNBC on New Hampshire night and I’m watching the crawl that shows the percentage of votes for each candidate and my man is 3 points behind right away. ALL of the polls, all of the pundits, EVERYONE is sure he’s going to win going away…..but I begin to get this awful feeling, the same feeling in the nape that I felt on election night in 2004 when we lost the big one.

And we lose. It’s close, but we lose. Again. And again.

Oh Lord….why are you so cruel to old soldiers?

OK, enough self pity…..let’s go to Nevada and South Carolina and try some more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't lose your faith. It keeps you humble.